Monday, September 1, 2008

Will Google Chrome outfox Firefox?

The open source browser of Google will be beta tested today. I love my Firefox. I dunno how Chrome plans to tempt me into switching. From the looks of it, it seems more like one more move from Google to make Microsoft squirm. I like the non-techie comic strip tactic used by Chrome to explain all about itself. Makes it all the more likable.

Chrome to me sounds very classy but is cold. It does not conjure any imagery like Firefox. The 'rome' in Chrome might phonetically give a cue of roaming/browsing but I wouldn't have picked it for Google.

NOTE: I gather Chrome is the nickname Mozilla programmers give to XUL applications. I wonder if Mozilla has bothered to trademark it. If it has, I foresee some skirmishes between Mozilla and Google in the days to come.